Friday 22 December 2017

Warhammer Fantasy Battle 2nd edition

I've just taken delivery of a little eBay bargain- a copy of the second edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battle from 1984. I didn't know much about it before now. I have the 3rd edition from 1988 already and that's the one that the Oldhammer lads usually rave about. First impressions are that is a more slight production than 3rd (that book really is visual and lore feast), and the Old World is less crystallised than in future editions, but several things have already piqued my interest. It has a more laissez-faire approach to army building and a formula for costing just about troops or monsters you might have minis for. The army lists are very vague. Later on the Ravening Hordes supplement brought the army lists closer to what we'd recognise, but I quite like the fuzziness of the lore at this stage in Warhammer history. I'm going to have a closer look and see if it's something I'll look at playing, or whether it's just a nostalgic curio for the shelf. 

3 comments:

  1. It would be worth getting the supplement Forces of Fantasy as well which had some good army lists and illustrations. Cheers
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's definitely on my shopping list- there's something about the game as it stands at the beginning of 2nd ed, without all the lore in place, and a little more of the 'use what you want' mentality that I find appealing, but I also think there will be stuff of real value in FoF if I do decide to play the system

      Delete
  2. I very much like your pattern it's beautiful,thank for sharing good i dea !

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete