Sunday 9 April 2017

Old School Middle Earth

In a few weeks' time, my gaming group will be starting its second escalation league for Kings of War- building an army a little at a time, in 500 point increments, and comparing progress. It really helps with motivation, and gets you a playable army in no time. Here's the dwarf army I built during the last one.



A little while ago I acquired a few hundred very old fantasy miniatures from a friend, and I intend to use these as the main source for a 'Middle Earth Good Guys' army, possibly using an allied Herd and Kingdoms of Men list. Many of the figures  were homecast, either using Prince August casting kits or by recasting (mostly Minifigs Mythical Earth range) existing miniatures. Recasting isn't something I take lightly, but it's hard to object in this case- it's been done with more enthusiasm than accuracy, and purely for personal use, many decades ago. It's also given many of the miniatures a pleasingly indistinct look that reminds me of Spencer Smith miniatures. I've repainted a few already in a 'shiny toy soldier' style that I really like- it suits the figures and is very quick to achieve. Here are some Beornings, Wargs, a Winged Nazgul and some assorted knights.






The Beornings I'll be able to use for the 'Good Guys', and I'll supplement them first with some Riders of Rohan. Here's a test miniature which I painted as a banner bearer, following Tolkien's description of the horse colour, hair, shield device and banner.




And here's the miniature before I started. Under the dust of years, it's got a very nice solid colour scheme, and a great banner painted in washes over a dot matrix printed pattern which has a sort of  'Persian Rug' feel to it.


7 comments:

  1. I once owned such a winged Nazgul, but lost it over the years.
    I wish I still had one, as I'm trying to collect all LOTR miniatures when I find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they do have a charm of their own don't they. Minifigs are slowly increasing the number of old fantasy minis they're bringing back into production-hopefully the Winged Nazgul might be among them.

      If I need any more than I have, I shall be looking at these ones from Alternative Armies. Alsoa great vintage sculpt, and much easier to obtain! https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/undead-legions/products/vnt2-wraith-on-pteradon

      Delete
  2. Really cool figures. I had armies in the 1970s, got rid of them somehow and have been rebuilding mine over the last few years. Great to see you using such classic miniatures.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Alan- This is the first time round for me! I was born in 1981, after the heyday of this sort of miniature. Everything old is new again!

      Delete
  3. Really cool figures. I had armies in the 1970s, got rid of them somehow and have been rebuilding mine over the last few years. Great to see you using such classic miniatures.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you tell me wat you use for basing them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes- it's green sand. I assume it's basically coloured glass or perspex or something similar, ground up into sand. 'Craft sand' is what I search for on eBay. When the miniature is ready for basing, I dip it, dry, into the sand and pull it out, shaking it a little just so that it has a little hillock of sand not quite covering its feet, then I carefully drip just enough very thin superglue onto the sand to saturate it without excess weeping out. Done! It's extremely quick and easy, and means I don't have to be too thorough in removing the old bits of the chunky woodchip flock that was on the bases previously- the sand covers a multitude of sins!

      Delete